Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Psalm 23 (Maturing Faith Part 2)

Yesterday, we talked about Jesus being enough no matter what comes our way.  Today, I want to take a peek at Psalm 23.  We will lay the groundwork by breaking down some of the words into the original Hebrew.  This will help us absorb truth tomorrow when we talk about walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

The best way I know to do this is to write out the passage and then comment on certain words as they come up. 

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the "shadow of death" (tsalmaveth: very thick darkness, terror, calamity)
I will "fear" (yare:  fear or dread of what may go wrong) no evil:
for thou art with me
thy rod and thy staff, they "comfort" (nacham: console) me
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou "anointest" (dashen:  to be fat, rich, mighty)
my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely "goodness" (towb: what is excellent, delightful, beautiful, joyful, fruitful, cheerful, kind, correct, right, and happy)
and "mercy" (checed:  God's loyal love, loving kindness,covenant, the attitude of love which contains mercy)
shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."
 
 
Chew on those words for a little bit.  Tomorrow, I will meet up with you again and we will talk about what made David (the author of this passage) a man after God's heart. 

No comments: